"Closed for 2019"

The Retreat is temporarily closed for 2019 for restructuring. More information and updates on special open days can be found on our facebook page

About Us

This is a centre for the community of Glenesk in Angus and home to the much admired Glenesk Folk Museum. It is community owned by the Glenesk Trust and run by a lively team of staff and volunteers.

The original Retreat, now demolished, was a cottage, built by Captain Wemyss in the 1840s as an escape from the sea. Newly refurbished, it continues to offer a genial mix of the tranquil and convivial, for everyone.


The Glenesk Folk Museum is for some people a discovery, for others a home to revisit, over and again.

Local school teacher Greta Michie opened the museum in 1955, using innovative methods of telling ordinary people’s stories by drawing on living history ideas being then pioneered in Scandinavia.


Our reputation for home baking is sustained by a delicious variety of cakes, scones and tray bakes, lovingly made on the premises, using many of the recipes used in glen homes for decades.

Multi Media Bar